My Dear Jonathan

My Dear Jonathan

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Answers come in odd ways

Today I started my day by asking the question why and as I have said in the past I try my best not to do that especially when it comes to Jonathan's death. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and God has a plan for all of us and we are not to question His plan. But today that just didn't sit well with me, then I went to church and everything changed. I sat in church listening very carefully to what pastor Doug was preaching and at one point I felt as if someone put there hand on my shoulder and said "now do you see".

When we were planning Jonathan's funeral we decided that the funeral home wasn't going to be big enough that we needed to find somewhere to have the funeral. My sister in law came to us and suggested that we ask to use The Alliance Church in New London. We did not attend that church nor any other church for that matter so we weren't sure what the outcome would be. My sister in law set up a meeting with the pastor of the church and he came to our house to meet us. When pastor Doug arrived at our home I knew right away that he was going to deliver the perfect service for Jonathan's funeral, before he even started to talk. My husband and I did not know him but our children did. He was also a substitute teacher at the school. He delivered the words of Jonathan's life to those that attended the funeral in a way that they would never forget him. After the the funeral was over and time had passed I attended the church a few times but because I cried every time I walked in there I stopped going. Well at least that's what I told my self.

I few months ago I decided to start going again. I came to the conclusion that although I may cry I needed to go. I needed to get my life on track. Before Jonathan's death I never thought much about church or the life God wanted me to live. I always believed in God and always thought I was a good person but never claimed to be a christian. After attending church and deciding to let God take over I can now say I am a christian and nothing makes me happier. While listening to pastor Doug today in church I finally understood what I believe is the reason pastor Doug came into my life and just maybe why Jonathan was taken from me so early. My life was not anywhere near where it needed to be when he died but because he died pastor Doug was brought into my life and because he was I am now able to say that if it weren't for pastor Doug's words and teaching I would not be following the Lord. Pastor Doug has been someone who I have been able to go to for many reasons but the most important is the one where he helped me see the life I want to live in order to see Jesus and my son. I am very grateful to God for bringing such a great teacher into my life because had he not I have no idea where my life would be. I know that God put pastor Doug in my life and I thank Him but I cant help but to thank pastor Doug also. He has taught me so much about why life with God on my side is the only way to live. I hope everyone has the opportunity to have someone so great to teach them the way of the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Eternal Life is a beautiful gift given to by Christ via your son's tragic death. The big picture is more than we can imagine. One by one God brings us home. Those left waiting for their turn must just keep on pressing on to reach the mark. Everyday striving to be more like Christ is what helps me to go on. I want a "well done" when I see the Lord and my son again. I don't know you but I do believe that Christ has you on the right road.
    hugs from a stranger,
    Jen
    www.tommybotell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope I'm on the right road because I can not wait until the day I get to see the Lord and hold my son again. I am trying really hard to see his death in one light and one light only, Gods light!!

    ReplyDelete