My Dear Jonathan

My Dear Jonathan

Monday, April 19, 2010

When the officer arrived at my house it was a sight that I will never forget. When the officer was trying to revive Jonathan I could see in his face that he wasnt going to be able to. He never said that, I dont really remember him saying anything. The EMT's arrived and tubes went in. They asked questions and tried to comfort us and all the while all I coould think about was my children who were sitting in the room with me watching and waiting. My sister, her boyfriend, me , my husband and my children sat in fear. It was time for them to take Jonathan to the hospital, I rode in the ambulance while everyone else followed. At the time I thought this was the longest ride of my life, you will find out later that it was not. Half way to the hospital we had to pull over, we needed to wait for more EMT's, the ones that are like doctors, not sure what they are called. As we are sitting there, the EMT's are doing their best to save my son and I look across the street to see my husband running at me becuase he had no idea why we had stopped. I could see my children through the windows of the car and the fear in their eyes was so heavy that it was almost numbing. I told my husband what we were doing and the next thing I remember hearing is the EMT saying "I have a pulse". At that point I had no idea that hadnt found one before. Of course when she said that I thought just maybe, just maybe he would be ok.
We finally arrived at the hospital and when we got there there were lots of family and friends waiting. They started working on Jonathan right away. What seemed like hours,but were really minutes went by before we got any news. In the mean time my children got to see Jonathan alive ,but what they wouldnt know was the last time. None of us did. The next thing I remember is being told that Jonathan needed to be transferred to a trauma center, by life flight. While waiting for the helicopter the doctor talked to us. The only thing I can remember him saying is that Jonathan wouldnt make it and me screaming at him telling him that he wasnt God so he didnt know what he was talking about. Those are words that you never want to hear. Never! My husabnd decided he would ride with Jonathan and I would ride with family. We sent the kids home with my brother in law in hopes that we would be bringing Jonathan home.This ride was the longest ride I had ever been on. Until later. Knowing that my son was already at the hospital and I had no idea if he was dead or alive. Not knowing was the worst. We finally made it to the hospital only to find more family and friends. I was taken to the waiting room where my husband was sitting and I will tell you walking in and seeing him sit there with so many tears in his eyes that he couldnt even see was so heart wrenching that I couldnt even stand. All he could say was "he cant die, he has to be ok, bridget and derek cant lose their brother, we cant lose our son". Oh wow!! I felt the same way just didnt say it yet. I had seen it in the officers eyes and heard from the doctor, but not my husband to. We sat and waited for the ok to go to his room. When they finally came to get us all the family and friends followed, about 30 or 40 of them so it seemed, but i dont really know how many were there.

As I sat in the waiting room surrounded by lots of family and friends all I could think about was if Jonathan died how was I gonna pay for the funeral, how was I gonna tell his siblings, and how would we move on? I kept going from the room to the waiting room, I couldnt sit still. It wasnt appearent to me then why I did that, but I now know why now. Not only was I worried about everyone else but I think I was afraid I would be in the room when he took his last breath. I didnt want to see that. Well I didn't want to see any of it.

2 comments:

  1. Misty, although the events that happened the night that Zack died are a lot different than yours, I do understand the trauma of it all. It is good that you are writing about it and are able to express it. Thank you for sharing this with us. You are a strong, loving mother. Sending prayers from Kentucky. ~~HUGS ~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. tina,
    thank you for the kind words. i know that you truelly understand. it isnt that i want to share all the details of what happened but those i do share are not only going to help me but i hope others. i know that until a parent loses a child they will nevre understand completely but im hoping this blog will help others see things , life, their children in a whole new light. because we should never take anything for granit.

    ReplyDelete